Friday, September 12, 2008

Getting in Touch with My Roots

In my school years, I've been called 'banana' a lot. To those of you who don't know what it means (like me when I was called that the 1st time), it means yellow on the outside, white on the inside. Which in turn means, Chinese by skin but caucasian at heart. Which also means, my Chinese sucks, and my English rocks. (I'm not being thick-skinned but it just sounds nice 'cause 'rocks' is the opposite of 'sucks')

So anyway, I've been living up to my 'banana' name but now everything's changed! (not really everything but you get what I mean) I am in a new class this year with totally different people and I've been making loads of new friends. Most of which are Chinese-speakers (which is what I call people who speak Chinese full-time) and though I have influenced them a bit, they have influenced me too!

Lately, I've been singing lots of chinese songs! Weird right? I've sung them before but now, I'm kinda addicted... I love that song 'wu ding'. I know its so 6 years ago but I like it! I even downloaded it and found the lyrics and everything! I'm also listening to lots of other old chinese songs like 'qian lian zhi nian', 'shan hu hai' and 'bei feng chui guo de xia tian'. They're all kinda nice! I'm learning how to sing them from my 'teachers'.

I'm even reading a book Sick lent me. It's a chinese love story and I'm on page 2 but that's still progress. I haven't read a chinese book in 4 years I think. I'm definitely getting more Chinese!

My friends are also learing English stuff from me. Most of them have started on Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Eva saw Seth Clearwater's name and sort of married him so now she's Eva Clearwater aka Qing1 Shui3 Yee2 Hwa4. I know. That sounds so nice! I'm so jealous of her name because mine's Hei1 Wei2 Min3. Doesn't sound very nice right? I approve of her marriage because I like Seth. He's like a mini Jacob. He was my second choice because he's too young. He's a whole year younger than me! Oh well, I'm happy with Jacob!

That's it for now. Bye!

ps. In my opinion, some Chinese people suck at keeping eye contact. Unlike caucasians.

No comments:

Post a Comment