Thursday, February 19, 2009

Weird or Normal?

Someone recently asked me a question: 'Do you think I'm weird?' How did I answer that question? Like this: 'Well, nobody's normal to me, so yeah, you're weird.'

I have always been fascinated by the words 'weird' and 'normal'. A lot of us mention the word 'weird' everyday, but do we actually know what we mean by it? What's the actual definition of 'weird'? Well, I Googled it and here's what I found:

weird (wird)
adjective
1. Obsolete of fate or destiny
2. of or about ghosts, evil spirits, or other supernatural things; unearthly, mysterious, eerie, etc.
3. strikingly odd, strange, etc.; fantastic; bizarre a weird costume
4. eccentric, erratic, or unconventional in behavior

Do we actually mean those things when we say 'weird'? Maybe we do. But who can actually be the judge of what is considered 'strikingly odd' or 'strange' or 'bizarre' or.... You get my drift.

What is considered normal and what is considered weird? To a person with OCD, cleaning everything at every minute might be considered normal whereas that behaviour is categorized as 'weird' to a slob. Or to make it easier, having sexual intercourse (sounds qim-er) at the age of 14 is considered normal in America whereas if you sleep around when you're 14 here, you're considered a slut.

When we see people doing stuff we don't understand, we say they're weird. And when we say we're feeling weird, that means we're not sure how we feel. Therefore, I have my own definition of the word 'weird'.

Weird - The word you use to describe something/someone you don't understand.

Aren't I smart? However I still think no one's normal... I think that's it for this post. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment